Welcome to the homepage of
The Austrian Association of University Teachers of English (AAUTE) is a member of the European Society for the Study of English (ESSE), a European federation of national higher educational associations for the study of English. Individual membership of ESSE is acquired via the corporate membership of AAUTE.
The aim of AAUTE is:
– to promote the academic study and understanding of English languages, literatures in English and cultures of English-speaking peoples;
– to foster the exchange of ideas and academic studies in these fields;
– to foster contacts with similar associations in Europe and overseas;
– to arrange an academic conference once a year;
– to bestow two Young Talent Awards (Literary and Cultural Studies; Linguistics and Cultural Studies), one alternately every year, for an unpublished article in the respective categories. Colleagues who are eligible for the awards are doctoral students and post docs – a maximum of four years after the date of their obtaining the doctorate. The prize money is €250.00; costs of board and lodging for the AAUTE conference for the year after the award will also be covered. AAUTE membership is not a prerequisite for eligibility;
– to provide information about ESSE activities, support participation in ESSE conferences, and nominate an AAUTE member for a parallel lecture at every ESSE conference;
– to arrange an annual general meeting of the Association.
Membership fee: €30.00 for full-time members of staff, €15.00 for part-time members of staff, doctoral students and post docs who are not full-time members of staff.